To help you plan your own tailored Kangaroo Island itinerary (around what you like to do) we recommend the following service providers who we know and trust. They offer a distinctive personalised service that is customer focused. Please feel free to let them know that they were recommended by LifeTime Private Retreats.
We advise you contact them directly before you visit, just to make sure they are open.
PRIVATE WILDLIFE & MARINE TOURING
1. Exceptional Kangaroo Island. Personalised wildlife touring. Fantastic knowledge of the island and its history.
2. Kangaroo Island Wilderness Tours. Personalised wildlife touring. Fantastic knowledge of the island and its history.
3. South West region – Raptor Domain. Interactive and informative birds of prey and reptile show that allows you to touch and interact with the animals. Great for kids and adults.
4. Western region – Flinders Chase National Park (includes Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Seal Bay). We recommend you book the guided seal tour that provides fascinating information about the seals, their habitats and survival. Also set some time aside to wander their wilderness tracks.
As we are situated in a remote area (and their are limited restaurants on the island), we generally recommend you purchase an array of the fantastic produce (that the island is known for) so you can cook it up back at your retreat in our fully equipped kitchens. See our recommended produce suppliers below.
1. Kingscote area – KI Fresh Seafood’s. Only a 20 min diversion from the airport and ferry to Lifetime. We advise you pre-order so you can pick up on the way. They also have great fish and chips. Also note KI’s major supermarket (Drakes) is in Kingscote for your main supplies.
2. Kingscote region – Island Pure Sheep Dairy (cygnet river) On route to Kingscote. A great selection of sheep’s cheeses, yogurts and other KI produce. Also has daily sheep milking.
3. Penneshaw area – If you are coming from the ferry, the Visitor Information Center has a selection of Island Produce.
4. American River (en route from Penneshaw) – The Oyster Farm Shop . Good selection of fresh & smoked oysters and other seafood’s. Great spot to stop for lunch if touring the Eastern part of the island from LifeTime.
RESTAURANTS AND CELLAR DOORS;
1. LifeTime area – Hannaford and Sachs. Special enchanted fig tree lunches and candlelit shearing shed dinners (only a few minutes walk from our retreats).
2. Stokes Bay area (15 min from LifeTime) – Rockpool Cafe. Casual seafood cafe next to a hidden beach with a cave entrance. Check its open before you go however the beach is one of the best on island and has a safe protected rock pool swimming area for kids.
3. Kingscote region – Kangaroo Island Spirits (KIS). Taste an array of local made gins and liqueurs from an enchanting & quirky cellar door set up in the owners old kitchen. Great coffee. Sarah and John Lark are great hosts.
4. Penneshaw region – Dudley Wines – Great for lunch when touring the Eastern end of the island. Try the whiting Pizza!
5. Kingscote region – Bay of Shoals winery, Good winery close to Kingscote and by the seaside.
6. Central region (on way to LifeTime) – Islander Estate Vineyard is by appointment only. Excellent selection of the islands only French style wines made by the island grapes.
OTHER ACTIVATES & THE ARTS
1. Kids friendly – KI Outdoor Action. An action packed stop for quad bike riding, kayaking and sand dune surfing!
2. Fishing Charters – KI Fishing Adventures. Owner/operator Gavin Solly knows where the fish are, and how to catch them! Only 20 min from LifeTime. Book well in advance (and early in your stay) so you can cook up what you catch at your retreat.
3. Art – Fine Art Kangaroo Island – Gallery owner and curator Fleur Peters has the best selection of local arts and jewelry on the island. Also check out Rustic Blue cafe for a stop on the way to Flinders Chase. Lovely peaceful garden area.